Remember when I told you I'd be giving you blog treats all day?
Well, apparently, fruit is very good for you ;-)
But it's also delicious and this recipe tastes like home cooked pie -- so technically this is a freaking treat! :)
I love breakfast. I maintain that it is the meal of the champions! Did I mention I love breakfast?
Not everybody loves breakfast as much as me... unless someone cooks for them, and then, who doesn't love breakfast?
This breakfast is pretty much like eating a fruit filled pie in the morning... without the fat-filled crust and unhealthy pie filling.
Instead, picture this: The aroma of bubbling, slowly liquefying fruit spreads through the house and it's not long before inquiring stomachs have wandered into the room. Mission accomplished. Good morning :)
What You Need:
- a whole lotta berries! Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries... whatever you can get your hands on. Three heaping cups will make enough for 4-5 people.
- 1/2 heaping cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons of oats
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tablespoon basil, minced
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400
- Warm honey in the microwave, then toss with balsamic vinegar and basil and fruit in a large bowl.
- Transfer to a casserole dish
- In a bowl, combine whole wheat flour, browns sugar, salt, and oats
- Knead butter into that mixture with your hands, creating a crumbly mixture
- Sprinkle crumbly mixture over fruit
- Put in the oven for 30 minutes or until top is beginning to harden