Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, there were beautiful blue cupcakes sprinkled with sunshine and love.
And then everyone I work with gobbled them all up in 45 seconds. Don't tell the boys they're only 100 calories...
Cook time: 20
Total time: 40
Yield: 12-18 cupcakes
Calories per serving: 100Ingredients:
- 1 box Devil's Foodcake Mix
- 1 can Sparkling water, diet tonic water, or diet coke
- 1 packet Meringue powder mix
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 drops Almond Extract
- Food coloring (blue)
- Decor sugar pearls
- Preheat oven to 425
Combine cake mix and can of La Croix/Sparkling Water/Diet Coke in a large bowl and mix well.
**Do not add butter, oil, or eggs if using this method. The carbonation in the water/soda will substitute for those ingredients and cause the batter to rise. If you would prefer the traditional route, feel free to bake as directed on the back of the box, and ignore the carbonated beverage addition**
- Use an ice cream scooper (great size!) to spoon into paper-lined muffin tin and bake as directed. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a clean bowl, combine meringue powder and 1/4 cup of warm water. Beat on medium for 1 minute, then high for 4 minutes.
- Add food coloring, beginning with a few drops (if liquid) or 2 covered toothpicks (if gel). Mix until the color is evenly distributed.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts. Continue to mix.
- Use a knife to spread meringue frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate with sugar pearls or sprinkles.