Here come the holidays. Are you ready for the stuffing? Well, hate to burst your bubble and all, but typical homemade or dry box stuffing is anywhere between 400 and 700 calories per cup. And how much were you planning to eat? Yeah, your diet is history...
But wait! Don't cry. I know you love stuffing. That's why this recipe uses low-calorie bread and low-sodium chicken broth, avoiding the calorie overload! Yaaayyyyyyy! The crowd goes wildddd.
Prep time: 10
Cook time: 35
Yield: 6-8 servings
Calories per serving: ~150 CaloriesIngredients:
- 2/3 pound Bread (Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delicious)
- 1 whole Onion
- 3 sticks Celery
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons Sage
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cut bread into small cubes.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, rotating/tossing half way through.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Dice onion and celery.
- In a pan, combine onion and celery with olive oil, Thyme, Parlsey, Salt, and black pepper. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine with bread. Add 1 cup chicken broth and mix well. Add additional broth if it's too dry.