Energy + Protein + Feeling Full For Hours!
These cookies are big. Like monster big. Like it's a meal in itself... or a snack at very least. But it's also kind of perfect that way, I think. Just grab one in the morning, put it in a Ziplock bag, and chow into it when that 2:30 feeling hits ya.
Not only will this give you more than enough energy to get you over the 2:30 hump, it will also keep you full all afternoon. Seriously. I ate one at 2:00 this week and, around 7:00, found myself saying... "I guess I could eat a small salad or something..." because I just wasn't very hungry.
So what's the story? What makes them so special? They're packed with protein, which most of us don't get enough of. Especially if you generally work out later in the day, it's important to already have protein in your body instead of waiting until after your workout to pound a protein shake.
I noticed that it's difficult to get enough protein during the day, especially if you're being healthy. Toast for breakfast and a salad for lunch? Even if you had peanut butter on your toast and chicken on your salad, that's hardly enough protein. That's where this cookie comes in :)
The cookies also have added ground flax seed, which is packed with fiber and lignans, kind of like these Waffles. Fiber means these cookies will help your body... er... digest your food. Lignans curb unwanted cell growth (i.e. cancer cells). What's not to love, right?
And, best of all... they're low carb. Like seriously low carb. No flour. Not even whole wheat flour. Flour just wasn't invited to this party, folks. We're sick of its attitude (but you didn't hear that from me...).
Have you noticed the cookie getting smaller? That's because I'm eating it. Today, I'm breaking off a piece after breakfast... breaking off a piece after lunch... and, as a result, pretty much staying full all day.
- 3/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips (or 1/2 cup for extra chocolatey goodness)
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 1/4 cup Diced Walnuts
- 2 scoops Protein Powder (I used 100% Whey Gold Double Rich Chocolate, available here)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop onto cookie sheet and flatten with a fork. (Makes 8 large, using an ice cream scoop as a guide. Making 12-14 smaller would also work!)
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to brown (my bake time on this was funky. I first baked for 10, then took it out for a few, then put it back in for 5. I also turned the temp up to 375 for the last few minutes. Just watch for browning).
*Nutritional information compiled using CalorieCount