Question: Can You Have Your Cake and Drink It Too?
Why, YES, you can... And Why It's GREAT For You:
- Almost TWENTY TWO Grams of Protein
- Very low in saturated fat
- Very high in calcium
- High in iron
- High in manganese
- Very high in phosphorus
- High in riboflavin
- Very high in vitamin A
|Compiled using CalorieCount via About.com|
When I first met Justin, I remember wanting badly to make him a cake (gifts are my love language and delicious-yet-healthy treats are my food language, so by the transitive properties of gifting-love-dom... umm... nevermind). I remember standing in the baking aisle at Jewel, with him on the phone. There I was, staring right at a box of carrot cake mix, and I asked him… “Do you like carrot cake?” His response? It’s not my favorite.
Woe is me. I guess we’ll go with Chocolate, then..
So, when I suggested trying out and altering a Carrot Cake Milkshake recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie, I was utterly surprised at his response: Let’s do it! Looks delicious.
In fact, it was even his idea, after returning from doing the Body By Science workout at the gym, to turn it into a protein shake. And so we did.
Protein shakes are something I’m working on for you guys… because I want to show you that protein shakes should be utterly delicious. So here’s “Episode Two” (For episode one , check out peanut butter banana protein shakes). Because it should not only be good FOR you, but it should also TASTE good, too!
Carrot Cake Protein Shake
Calories Per Serving: 216
Protein Per Serving: 21.8 g
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Weight Watchers Points (Old): 4
Weight Watchers Points Plus (New): 5
Ingredients (makes two, so cut it in half if you only want one... or you can opt to chill the second glass for the next day!):
- 1 large banana, frozen (it will save you a headache if you peel it, then put it in a bag and freeze it... but if you forget, you can always peel it afterward with a knife and your very very frozen fingers)
- 1 cup milk (skim milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk are both great, but any milk substitute will also work -- just be aware that slight flavor changes will come with any major substitutions!) **Caloric information compiled using unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 servings protein powder (Just use the prescribed amount per persoof powder for one "serving" of your particular brand)
- 2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 small carrot (or two baby carrots), peeled
- Tiny dash of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender
- Add a few cubes of ice only if your blender is good enough to chop them all up!
- Blend well and serve!