“Honestly, all I want to do is stuff my face with some Mexican food.” <-- Yeah, that was me, last week. I don’t know what came over me – I don’t often have strong cravings and, when I do, it’s usually for toast (seriously), so when I suddenly HAD TO HAVE Mexican food, it was like a whole new world.
But Mexican restaurants, while they may be authentic, are pretty much horrible for you. So are tortillas. And sour cream. And queso dip. You get the issue here. And, to make it worse, it’s nearly impossible to have a Mexican dinner at a restaurant without succumbing to the Margarita Misery – and by that, I mean yeah, I’ll just have one – oh, shit, I didn’t realize they are each 400 calories.
And yet, if you know me, you know my attitude about these things. It CAN be done. It just hasn’t been done – YET.
So here’s my solution… because we all deserve to stuff our faces with Mexican food. And we all deserve to do it without paying for it later.
The amounts of each ingredient can very easily be altered – because it’s really just a bowl of Mexican-related ingredients thrown together – so feel free to mix and match, omit and add, etc.
- 1 cup Spinach, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup Black Beans (if you're buying canned beans, look for organic, low sodium, etc – as most canned black beans come LOADED with sodium)
- 1/4 cup Cheese – Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monterey jack, the works! (I used 2% Mozzarella)
- Avocado/Guacamole – 2 tablespoons Guacamole or ½ Avocado
- Diced Tomatoes (Make sure you get fresh tomatoes and dice them yourself OR pick canned diced tomatoes that do not have added ingredients like fillers and sodium. In the images you see here, we used some canned diced tomatoes and then added a few chunks of freshly diced tomato too).
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Hot Sauce (to taste)
- Pre-cooked Chicken Strips (Optional)
- Heat beans over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and add cumin.
- Chop fresh ingredients (spinach, avocadoes, tomatoes)