As you may recall, my lovely friend Jordan over at Exclusively Chic asked me about nuts and seeds. Why are nuts and seeds so good for you? What's the big deal??
To catch up on what the big deal is and read tips for nut use, take a look at this post. If you missed it, here's the brief version: Protein, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Fibers, and Lignans. All good things and ALL found in nuts and seeds!
The Nuts And Seeds Gang:
Over the next few weeks, stop by for eight posts about nuts and seeds, how to incorporate them into your diet, which ones are best, and recipes for use...
Chia Seeds: The Filling Superfood
- WHAT'S GOOD:
High Fiber, Balance Blood Sugar, High Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Boosts Energy, Can replace Butter/Oil in baking, Craving-reducing, Antioxidant-rich, Hydrating
- THE SUMMARY:
Chia Seeds are packed with fiber, fatty acids, and even a considerable amount of protein! When soaked in any liquid, chia seeds expand and develop an external coating that is gel-like, but tasteless (other than the liquid it is soaked in) and clear. This allows it to be a fabulous option for people who want to feel full, as it takes up room in your stomach without adding calories. Similarly, it can be added to protein shakes, drinks, puddings, etc to thicken the mixture.
The texture of soaked seeds (which develop a gel-like coating) is a bit funky to some people. Make sure you can handle it before buying in bulk - or just decide to cookwith dry seeds!
- CALORIES IN 1/4 CUP: 140
- HOW TO EAT IT:
- Add to smoothies
- Add to chicken marinade
- Add to salads or salad dressings
- Add to oatmeal
- Add to pudding (like this)
- Add to eggs and let sit for 10 minutes, then make an omelet
- Encrust chicken or tuna (like this)
- Read this post on Chia Uses!
- Try These Recipes Including Chia Seeds: Chia Muesli Breakfast Pudding Post-Workout Chocolate Protein Pudding
- Add Chia Seeds to These Recipes: Trail Mix / Healthy Breakfast "Coffee" Cake / Balsamic Glazed Prunes with Feta and Basil / Garlic Chicken Greek Salad / Seared Tuna
- BUY IT AT GNC! Sign up for their mailing list and they'll send you a multitude of useful coupons!
Chia Seed Benefits / Image Chia Seeds