May I Have Your Attention, Please: This Just In! Ice Cream Is Finally HEALTHY For You! Go ahead, eat as much of this creamy, rich chocolate frozen yogurt... it will melt in your mouth, but only after wowing you with its sweet chocolatey ways.
Ummmmmm, froyo is the bomb. I first developed an addiction during my Senior year at Rhodes College, when a local Memphis froyo joint called "YOLO" opened up less than give minutes away from my apartment. I was a goner. So were my friends. Pretty much everyone I knew. (Sidenote, if you work at YOLO, you're welcome... we probably single handedly paid your operating expenses that semester).
I have to be honest with you here, this was sort of an accident. It all began with a lack of milk (sounds like the opening line for a hilarious book). You see, this workout-a-holic needed her post-workout protein shake. But how's a girl to nom some protein shake sans milk?
Suddenly, I thought... I could make yogurt! And then another light bulb... and a scream... FROZENNN YOGGURRRTTTT! Imagine Justin's face as I stood in the middle of the kitchen, screaming about frozen yogurt. What a lucky man. ;-)
Have to give some mad props to my friend Monique over at Ambitious Kitchen for this one... After making this frozen yogurt as plain chocolate a few times (and eating it up before I remembered to snap a pic), I finally got a few shots of it con blackberries after I caught a glimpse of her Blackberry & Chocolate Greek Frozen Yogurt Cones and was truly inspired. Seriously. I actually ran back into the kitchen to make this again and add blackberries (after all, my favorite ice cream from Graeters is Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip, which seems fitting).
Protein Packed Chocolate Frozen Yogurt
Calories Per Serving: 145
Grams of Protein: 23g per serving
WW Points: 3
WW PointsPlus: 3
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt, Vanilla (I used Chobani)
- 2 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1 heaping handful of Blackberries
- Optional (for thinning): 2 tbsp Coconut Milk
- Stir Chocolate Protein Powder into Greek Yogurt. You can either stir it in completely or leave it swirled. Up to you!
- Freeze for 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer and let sit for 30 minutes, or until you are able to stir it a bit around the outside.
- To mix it up (which gives it the smooth texture), either pop it in a blender or add 1/2 tablespoons of Coconut Milk and try to stir until you're able to stir it up with a fork.
- Add blackberries and serve. :)
- You can make this with any flavor of protein powder! If you're looking for Vanilla Frozen Yogurt, stir in some vanilla protein powder. I've also tried Cookies and Creme protein powder, which would be wonderful in this treat!
- Are you going to make this? Send me a pic! I'd love to share it with readers, whether you follow the recipe exactly, or add your own twist! Email it to email@example.com or post it on my Facebook wall!
P.S. if you're a fan of ice cream-like desserts, but not into greek yogurt, try this recipe to make ice cream using bananas, this recipe for brown sugar tapioca and ice cream, these chocolate mousse filled edible cups, or this recipe to make a twist on Chunky Monkey Ice Cream... using pudding!