This is the king of the breakfast gods. Runny, over easy eggs under melted smoked Gouda cheese with a kick of scallions, all between crunchy toast. A gourmet breakfast in 5 minutes... What's your excuse not to make it?
Eggs make the world go round. I think. I'm a total dork and passed out at 8:30 last night (stop judging me). I popped up, fully awake, at 5 something this morning, with one thing on my mind. Breakfast.
If you've been with me for a while here, you've probably already heard me say that breakfast is the meal of the champions. It's true, though. When you wake up, your body is in a similar state to when you finish a workout. You've burned through most of your nutrients while sleeping, and your body is hungering for protein and a small amount of carbohydrates to fuel your muscles. Oh, and your brain... unless you want to be Grumpy McGrumperson all morning (count me out for that).
I'll add to that the fact that eating in the morning makes you less likely to over-do it on food throughout the day, as it keeps your blood sugar steady (provided that you're not overdosing on carbs, like a plate full of box pancakes would do to you -- but if you're a pancake-obsessed breakfaster, try these protein packed pancakes or these fiber filled waffles).
So what do you say, are you ready for breakfast?
This little creation was first inspired in the cheese aisle. I spotted a bag of sliced smoked Gouda (amazing, right?) and grabbed it immediately. The creamy, smoked flavor does wonders to compliment the fried egg, and scallions take it over the top. I promise.
Smoked Gouda and Scallions Egg Sandwich
Servings: 1 Per Recipe
- 1 Egg
- 1 slice Smoked Gouda (or other creamy cheese, such as provolone)
- 1/4 stalk Scallions, chopped
- 2 slices toast (I used Sara Lee's 45 Calories and Delicious Toast)
- Ingredient Prep: Start with chopped scallions and sliced Gouda sitting out and ready to use (you'll need to move fast once your egg starts cooking).
- Toast the toast: Put your toast in the toaster!
- Grease the pan: Grease a small frying pan using olive or vegetable oil (I pour a bit of vegetable oil in, then use a paper towel to wipe it around and soak up the extra so there are no puddles).
- Get cracking: Crack one medium egg and place it in the pan, trying not to break the yolk. If the egg whites spread out too much, you can use a plastic spatula to guide the egg back into a shape that will fit on your toast. As the egg begins to cook more and solidify, this gets easier.
- Flip It: When the sides of the egg whites begin to look less runny and are turning white, use a plastic spatula to flip the egg over to cook the other side.
- Cheese and Scallions: Once you flip the egg, immediately add the slice of Gouda and place scallions on top. Turn the temperature down to low and cover the pan to melt the cheese as much as possible. After flipping the egg, it only takes a minute or two for the second side to cook.
- Voila! After just about two minutes (no more), use a plastic spatula to transfer the fried egg, gouda, and scallions onto a piece of toast. Add the second piece of toast on top and cut down the center to break open the yolk. Enjoy!