Bi Bim Bop tastes like the heartiest salad you've ever had. A single fried egg adds buttery moisture while adding health benefits, too. Tofu is a light substitute for meat and is coated in Italian seasoning to pack a lot of flavor punch. Stir it all together and life couldn't be better. Well, maybe with more Sriracha...
I have wonderful memories of true Bi Bim Bop. When I lived with a gaggle of girls in Memphis, there were inevitably a few Saturdays when we woke up at noon and required spicy food and a "Friends" marathon. Bi Bim Bop was always the go-to. Oh, and a Route 44 Diet Cherry Limeade from Sonic. Don't forget that.
Since then, I frequently find myself wanting Bi Bim Bop. Have a cold? Want Bi Bim Bop. Don't have a cold? Still want it.
But the problem was that I had no idea what was technically in Bi Bim Bop. So I made my own. And it is definitely not the same. It's better :) Instead of rice or noodles, you've got everything good for you... chunks of smooth, seasoned Tofu. Lots of Spinach to mix in. Chives (mmm!). Feta Cheese. Sriracha. And an egg.
Below are the technical directions, but don't be fooled: If you cook all these ingredients and throw them together in a bowl, you will have succeeded. With this dish, you'll end up stirring it all together, anyway!
Tofu Bi Bim Bop w/ Italian Seasoning
Servings: 2 per recipe (or bump it up to 4 by using 4 eggs)
- 1 package Tofu, extra firm, cubed
- 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups Spinach, ripped
- 1 cup Spinach, not ripped
- 1 tablespoon Chives, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Feta
- Sriracha, to taste
- Lightly grease a pan (I do this by adding a small amount of olive or canola oil, then using a paper towel to move it around and soak up any excess puddles).
- Cut up Tofu into small cubes and place in a pan over medium heat.
- Pour white wine vinegar over the cubes and then distribute about half of the Italian Seasoning
- Flip and season Tofu. After 2 minutes, flip the tofu. Sprinkle Italian Seasoning on top. Then, repeat a third time 2 minutes later. This doesn't have to be exact, but is a nice way to coat at least 3 sides of your tofu in the italian seasoning. If you'd prefer to skip this step, feel free to just cook for 4 minutes before proceeding to the next step, and add the rest of the italian seasoning then.
- Add ripped up spinach and chopped chives on top of and in between the tofu pieces. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Then, break two eggs over the mixture. Try to keep the yolk intact and let it cook alongside the spinach and tofu.
- After 2 minutes, add feta cheese, sprinkling over other ingredients in the pan. Cover and cook for another minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- To serve, first place 1/2 cup of Spinach (the Spinach you didn' rip) in a bowl. Spoon out the parts of the tofu, spinach, feta and chive mixture that is not touching the egg first, then top by spooning the egg (and whatever else has become connected to it during cooking) on top. Try not to break the egg!
- Add Sriracha, to taste
- When ready to eat, use a knife and fork to break the egg yolk and stir everything together. Then eat!