This was totally spur of the moment. One of those things that you throw together with no intention of it actually looking or tasting particularly great. And then, all of a sudden, the stars align and Voila! You've got yourself a legitimate cocktail.
For those of you who are familiar with a Tequila Sunrise, this is similar... but instead of Tequila, we're working with Vodka... and we're giving it a bit of bubbly sparkling water to keep it light and lower the calories.
Why did I name it Red In The Morning? We were brainstorming cocktail names with our guests and Justin suddenly blurted it out. It's part of a Sailor's phrase... "Red sky at night, Sailor's delight. Red in the morning, Sailor's warning." (Or something like that. I'm sorry if I butchered it!). And when I googled that phrase, here's the image that came up. Looks like the drink, eh?
So that's the story of the birth of Red In The Morning Cocktail. It's a harder version of a Mimosa - but you can drink it during brunch - or treat it like a Tequila Sunrise and guzzle it during cocktail hour!
Red In The Morning (Sparkling Vodka Sunrise)Ingredients:
- Orange Juice
- Sparkling Water
- Add 1 shot (or more if you're a daring Sailor, aye!) of Vodka to your cup
- Fill the cup 1/2 way with Orange Juice
- Fill close to the top (leaving just a bit of room for the Grenadine to fit!)
- Pour Grenadine in, which will sink to the bottom
- If you MUST have ice, start with it in the cup. Your drink *might* not be as pretty, though!