When I was in High School, I used to get sick a lot. A lot. Like I missed 28 days of school one year. So, in the interest of boosting my immune system, my mom decided to force me to start juicing (at 17 years old, I was very opposed to the idea and thought it tasted like garbage sludge). The key ingredient she continued to put in these garbage sludge smoothies? Kale.
Five years later, I started putting Kale in my salads. Though my immune system is now near teflon (thanks to consistent exercise and healthy eating), I am always looking for the next healthy element I can incorporate into my life. After reading about the seemingly never ending health benefits of Kale, I was sold.
Only I wasn't eating it right. I was just throwing it in a salad and eating it immediately. Little did I know that there really is a better way to eat Kale. It needs a bit of... coaxing.
Combined with Italian toppings and Sea Salt, this is officially my favorite salad ever. I love it so much that, when I couldn't find pre-cut Kale at the grocery store this week, I was legitimately upset. It's just that good.
Italian Overnight Kale Salad with Sea Salt
Servings: 2 (Feel free to cut in half for only one serving, but keep in mind that this salad keeps very well in the fridge, so making it ahead of time doesn't hurt!)
- 4 cups Kale
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- 1/3 Red Pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Shaved Parmesan
- 2 tbsp Purple Onion, coarsely chopped
- Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, and a sprinkling of sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk.
- Rinse Kale and cut into ribbons (or any bite size pieces) and pour mixture over the Kale. Toss.
- In a small tupperware, combine shaved parmesan cheese, chopped red pepper, and chopped purple onion.
- Cover both bowls and store overnight.
- To serve, put marinated Kale on a plate or in a bowl and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the salad. Then, spoon cheese/pepper/purple onion on top. Top with Sea Salt and Black Pepper, if desired.
P.S. Looking for more Kale in your life? Check out Sea Salt Kale Chips, Sriracha Polenta with Kale Chips, and The Ultimate Salad of Health