The rich sweetness of chocolate, the slight kick of chili powder, and the delicious crunch of almonds... what's not to love?
Warning: You're going to want to make these. I would advise trying to make them before a social gathering, so that you don't blink and accidentally eat them all. I also should warn you that you may inadvertently "taste test" far too many heaping tablespoons of the melted chocolate mixture. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Another warning... as I made these, I started singing a little song. The lyrics are simple, so you should probably join in: "Everyday, I'm truffling... Everyday, I'm truff-fa--fa--faling." <--There you go. Now you have an awful song stuck in your head. You're very, very welcome.
I made these for blogger book club this month. I hadn't spent much time thinking of recipe development for the group, so I had to kind of scramble the day before. I found a recipe online that looked pretty good, but I didn't have all of the ingredients, so it turned into a bit of an experiment.
This recipe is adapted from this Chocolate Chili Truffles recipe from Elana's Pantry. I love her recipes and would have followed it to a "T," except that I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so I had to improvise. Since I was bringing this to a book club where I know at least one person has a coconut allergy, I omitted coconut milk in exchange for almond milk (with almond extract already in the mix, I figured anyone with that allergy was already out!). Also had run out of agave, so I subbed honey for that. And had no finely chopped almonds (and no desire to chop whole ones), so I just subbed chia seeds there.
Chili Chocolate Almond Truffles
Ingredients... For Truffle Base:
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
...For Truffle Powder:
- 2tbsp Cacao Powder
- 3 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- Melt Chocolate using a double boiler or the microwave. I put it in the microwave for 90 seconds, take out and stir, then again for 30 seconds, and take it out and stir.
- Add honey, almond extract, chili powder, chia seeds, and almond milk and mix well. If the almond milk is not mixing in with the chocolate, try heating it for another 30 seconds with all ingredients in the bowl, and then stir again.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes, until it reaches a frosting-like consistenct.
- Scoop into balls and place on parchment paper-lined sheet. Set aside.
- Combine ingredients for truffle powder (Cacao Powder, Chia Seeds, more Chili Powder).
- Roll balls in truffle powder.