On Sunday night, my mom brought me a bag of red-skin potatoes. I wasn't quite sure what to do about this, because I'm not really a potato person.
But then I started cutting them up. I sliced them into small, 1/4inch thick rounds, and they were quite beautiful. And suddenly they weren't just weirdly shaped red masses. They were a gourmet meal!
Also, in case you were wondering, yes, this recipe is proof that one should always have chevre on hand. It's just math. A girl's gotta do it.
Red-Skin Potato, Chives, and Chevre Casserole
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 60 Minutes
Servings: Makes 6
- 4-5 medium Red-Skin potatoes. (This will also work with ANY potatoes, so feel free to experiment and know that you are safe!)
- 4oz Chevre (Any crumbly cheese, like goat or feta, will do)
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Chopped Chives
- 2 tbsp Mixed Shredded Cheese (Any shredded, meltable cheese will work)
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano (You can substitute any Italian seasoning here)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Slice potatoes into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Layer half of the potatoes into a greased pan (I used a circular cake pan), overlapping slightly.
- Layer half of the goat cheese on top, dispersing evenly throughout the pan. Sprinkle some dried oregano, sea salt, and black pepper on top.
- Add a second layer of potatoes.
- Layer the rest of the goat cheese on top, and sprinkle with oregano, sea salt, and black pepper again. Add minced garlic, dispersing evenly on top of the potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk and egg and whisk until well combined. Gently pour evenly over the casserole.
- Top with mixed shredded cheese, and then sprinkle chopped chives on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until mixed shredded cheese begins to brown.'
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving (it will be HOT HOT HOT!).