Fall makes me so nostalgic. From soup to tall boots to Halloween costumes, there is something in it for everyone that reminds us of years past.
And so, naturally, I'm making the most of it. Bring on the crock pot, my friend.
After the last batch of chili, I've been on a soup kick. It's the easiest way to have a large volume of healthy eats available at a moment's notice.
One of my favorite soups is tortilla soup... minus the tortilla. Basically, I just want a taco in a bowl. Only, the day I was making this, I only had frozen chicken, and a few pounds of lean ground beef were burning a hole in my fridge. So, beef it was! Feel free to sub shredded chicken, if need be!
I also decided to add quinoa to this recipe, to give it some "staying power" and add some fiber. If you can't handle the QUEEN, feel free to sub for couscous or rice. But, really... try the quinoa!
Quinoa Taco Soup with Beef, Black Beans, and Tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 cups dry quinoa
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 can roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup black beans
- 1lb lean ground beef
- Boil 4 cups chicken stock. Add quinoa, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Brown ground beef in a pan.
- Add taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, black beans, and cooked ground beef to the pot of chicken stock and quinoa.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Add remaining chicken stock and cook for another hour.