Now that we've changed the clocks and the nights are getting darker and darker, there is nothing more comforting to come home to than a big bowl of chili (okay, and a superbly adorable dog, but that's beside the point here).
Last weekend, my husband requested chili. We stocked up on ground beef and beans and made it happen. It lasted us through lunches and a few dinners all week, and was an easy way to make dinner happen on a moment's notice.
Three Bean Ground Beef Chili
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 hours
- 2.5-3 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can roasted tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Brown ground beef and onion together. My crock pot has a saute setting, so I browned the beef inside the crock pot. Depending on how lean your beef is, you may need to drain it.
- Puree all tomato items (paste, diced tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, etc) in a blender. If you want the tomato chunks, feel free to skip this step, but my husband is anti-tomato-chunks, so we pureed it.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve topped with cheese of choice and a sprinkle of italian seasoning. Store in a glass container and it should be good for up to two weeks!
- Feel free to half the recipe if you aren't looking for such a large batch. This makes somewhere between 8-16 servings, depending on whether you serve it in a large bowl or small mug.
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
- Do you have a special, tried-and-true chili recipe?
- Have you ever topped chili with a fried egg? I am dying to try it!