I made this tasty salad a few weeks ago but then completely neglected to share it with you all. Blame it on I-Started-My-Own-Business-And-Moved brain, I guess...
I used to make brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and bacon and devour it, but something about that combination on its own had its way of leaving me extremely full. Instead of following that tradition, this time I served up less, but used it to top a bed of spinach. It ended up being the most delicious and comforting salad. Seriously, it's like taking an old fashioned comfort food and making it healthy.
What's not to love, right?
Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash, and Bacon Salad
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, rinsed
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 8-12 strips uncured bacon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- salt, pepper to taste
- 4 cups spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Place bacon in a thin layer and bake for 25-30 minutes or until crispy. Drain and let dry.
- Toss butternut squash with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, oregano, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Line another baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread butternut squash on top of the foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until butternut squash is soft.
- Steam brussels sprouts for 15 minutes, or microwave for 8 minutes, until soft and tender. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Combine cooked butternut squash and brussels sprouts. Crumble bacon and add to the same bowl. Toss well.
- Put over a bed of fresh spinach! No dressing required, but this would be delicious with a simple drizzling of olive oil and lemon.