After working with Relished Foods to review their ingredient delivery program, I have had a craving for Mahi Mahi. I loved how delicious and non-fishy it tasted, and how substantial and hearty the fish "meat" is when you eat it. It is much more filling than a typical whitefish or tilapia.
So, when I spotted some wild caught Mahi Mahi at the grocery store, I was all over it. I had some cauliflower and zucchini in the fridge, so I threw the Mahi Mahi over a "bed" of cauliflower puree, and added the zucchini as a side. Combine that with some shaved carrot and almond flour encrusted fish, and you've got yourself a healthy, hearty, and delicious meal.
Almond Encrusted Mahi Mahi Over Cauliflower Puree with Zucchini
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes total (25 for Mahi Mahi)
Ingredients for Mahi Mahi:
- 2 filets of Mahi Mahi
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1.5 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 carrot
Ingredients for Cauliflower Puree:
- 2 cups of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp water
Ingredients for Zucchini:
- 3 zucchinis, cubed
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 tbsp Bobby's All Purpose Seasoning or 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Wash and cube zucchini.
- Toss with oil and seasoning and wrap in an aluminum foil, then bake for 45 minutes.
- Mix almond flour, oregano, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper in a plastic bag.
- One at a time, dip mahi mahi filets in butter and then shake around in the bag until well coated (you can also do this in bowls, but the bag is my method).
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with diced garlic. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Steam cauliflower (I put it in the microwave for 4 1/2 minutes).
- Place cauliflower, water, and cheese (or cheese substitute) in a blender and puree until smooth. If you need to thin it out, you can add a bit more water, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Remove zucchini and mahi mahi from the oven.
- To serve, divide cauliflower mash and spread onto both plates.
- Add mahi mahi on top, and zucchini on sides.
- Top with julienned or thinly sliced carrots.