I am a major dress up fan, and a huge fan of Halloween in particular. Every year for the past few years, I have decided on my costume in AUGUST and started prepping for a unique outfit.
Last year, I was Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. Before that, I was Effie Trinkett from Hunger Games, with my husband being Seneca Crane (the beard!). Before that, there was an Avatar character and a disco stick (Lady Gaga reference). Basically, I follow the trends, and I choose a character from my favorite movie/show/some other pop culture reference.
Why do I need a blonde wig? This year, I am planning to embody my favorite style icon from the past year or so: Claire Underwood. If you don't understand her fashion icon status, read this Buzzfeed article and weep. She is from House of Cards and she is amazing.
Characteristics of Claire's Style:
- Chic, short blonde hair
- Bold, boxy glasses
- Slim, well-tailored dresses in dark colors
- High neckline on tailored dresses
- Black heels
- Expensive black bag (she usually rolls with YSL)
How to Nail It With Costume Pieces:
- Jones New York Sheath Dress ($$) -- if you look better in gray than black
- Merona Sleeveless Dress ($) -- for the price conscious - this is on sale for $13 right now!
- Sassy Synthetic Capless Pixie Short Wig
- Warby Parker Beckett Thick Frames
- Fiji Sleeveless Dress ($$$) -- for showing off your arms!
- Michael Kors Leather Sheath Dress ($$) -- a little more edgy, which Claire does occasionally do
- Tahari Cali Sheath Dress ($$) -- adds some waist action
And for my husband? Time to find a way to turn him into Frank...